Thursday, April 11, 2013

Our Colors Week - Fishing Tutorial





This was one of those projects that started off as a very simple idea that just kept expanding into more and more, but I'm really happy with the results. 

I was originally just going to make a few simple fish (the green ones) in different colors so we could work on our colors (can you catch an orange fish, etc.). Then I thought I should put numbers on them so we could use them another time (can you catch a 5 etc.), well if I'm going to put numbers on one side, I might as well put letters on the other side, right? Then I decided instead of just writing on the fish I could put them onto different shapes. Then I figured we would eventually have an ocean theme and why limit ourselves to just fish. 

So, yeah this turned into a whole lot more work for myself, but now we have something that can be used over and over in a lot of different ways.

If you want to make your own, it's pretty simple (just a little time-consuming).

1. I started by tracing the different animals onto different colors of construction paper. Most of the animals came from different places - I just did a google search for coloring pages of each one.

2. Then I cut out different shapes on white construction paper (two for each animal) and wrote a letter on one and a number on the other. I taped each one to hold them in place while I...

3. Laminated them. (Because I bought this Laminator a few weeks ago, and may or may not be completely obsessed with it, and may or may not be laminating absolutely everything.) 

4. Then I just cut them out and put a paperclip on each one.

5. For the fishing pole I took a dowel that I got for around $.30 at Walmart and tied a piece of yarn to it, and then tied a magnet to the other end of the yarn.

So, there you go - a little bit of work for a whole lot of fun. Let me know if you try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment